Monday 18 April 2016

MONDAY 18th APRIL 2016 08:00 BST

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 
WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

18th April 1864: The Battle of Dybbøl 
Following the annexation of the Duchy of Schleswig in November 1863 by the Danish king Christian IX (who was also the Duke of Schleswig), Prussian and Austrian troops invaded Danish Jutland in January 1864.

The defending Danish army were equipped with smaller guns and an older type of rifle. The Prussian army used the Dreyse needle-gun, a breech-loading rifle that could be loaded while the user was lying down. Since the Danes had to load their older muzzle-loading rifles while standing, they were easy targets for the Prussians.

Furthermore, the Dybbøl position was ill-prepared. In particular, it lacked safe shelters in the forward line, but worse, technological developments in artillery had made the geography of the position unsuited for a lengthy defence. When the Prussian assault was finally initiated, the line was consequently undermanned by tired and demoralised troops. The battle ended in an overwhelming and decisive Prussian victory.

During the battle around 3,600 Danes and 1,200 Prussians were either killed, wounded or disappeared. The Battle of Dybbøl was the first battle monitored by delegates of the Red Cross: Louis Appia and Charles van de Velde. A peace treaty was signed on 30 October 1864 that effectively turned the duchies of Schleswig and Holstein into Prussian provinces, under the nominal joint sovereignty of the two states.

The 1864 conflict marked a watershed in the history of Denmark. Patriotic expansionist sentiment was effectively crushed and Danes began to accept the status of a small peaceful nation. 

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Housework
Meditation
Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 2,155 (up 7)
Never-followed unfollowers eliminated = 2

@nandhi108 +1 untraced
Followed unfollowers eliminated = 0
-
New Followers followed back = 4
@YODspica, @SODreamaniac, @DroneOn1, @ArcWoman
Spammers not followed back = 5
@mjscmcthaqueen, @clonefox23ppe, @DizzyFakeabo, @W7halkel1X, @5VCrexonAl 

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
With clients finishing their courses I have more spare time available this week than I've had for a while - I intend to use it wisely! What I actually do I tend not to waste time and energy mulling over - all my decisions are intuitive. This liberates vast quantities of mental energy for the business of simply enjoying where intuition has led me. I've been on a roll discovering new useful apps, new ways of doing things and new things to do.

I have often previously resented what I didn't get relationship-wise, like a loving extended family where everyone cares for each other, but I can't deny that various horrid experiences have led me ultimately to life's greatest prize - peace of mind, and the space to enjoy it in. I have needed to "have a word with myself" to remind myself how blessed this avatar is - to achieve this Ultimate Peace is something very few indeed will ever experience. This prize is infinitely greater than the sum of the prizes I never won. 

Though it's important to keep focus on ongoing goals, and be alert to challenges, I am now keeping in the front of my mind that I've already won the Big Kahuna. I have Bliss On Tap - I need only remember it.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Do you realize that to discover happiness you need only to discover what you truly are?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
In brief
Dry and cloudy, skies clearing in the evening

Details

















Moon






Weathertrack














Air Pressure
1016 millibars and rising

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
First rule of Procrastination Club: I'll tell you tomorrow :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Amy Schumer Stand Up - 2011

8. TRIVIA
In 1995, a woman named Berbel Zummer was walking through a park in Austria during a storm wearing a wire-enforced bra under her clothes. The metal in her bra attracted a bolt of lighting that killed her instantly.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Your character is determined by how you challenge yourself, and how you wrestle with your problems, in a way that is unique to you. This is how character is polished and becomes diamond-like.

No comments:

Post a Comment