Thursday 24 March 2016

MAUNDY THURSDAY 24th MARCH 2016 07:35 GMT

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 
WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

24th March 1603: 
The birth of the United Kingdom
The United Kingdom arose not by deliberate plan but by accident of genealogy - with the death of Elizabeth I of England, the nearest relative happened to be be James VI, king of Scotland. With Elizabeth refusing to name an heir, the crown was consequently offered to James, who became James I of England.

The union was at first loose - though there was one monarch, England and Scotland remained separate nations with their own parliaments and laws - only foreign policy, which was decided by the king, was unified. All attempts by James to unify England, Scotland and Ireland into a single nation failed. 

After the English civil war, a unified military dictatorship was imposed on both countries under Cromwell, but with the restoration of 1660, the status quo ante bellum was restored. It was the Jacobite rebellions of 1715 and 1745, both centred in Scotland, that persuaded English politicians that political union was necessary. 

Scottish politicians, who had suffered severe financial losses in the Darien scandal, were offered financial compensation and access to English colonies and markets. Against the will of the majority of the Scottish population, in 1706 a union was agreed upon and in 1707, the Scottish parliament dissolved itself, and England and Scotland became one nation from that point.

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Client prep and follow up
Business promotional work
Meditation
Me Time
Quality Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 2,098 (up 1)
Never-followed unfollowers eliminated = 1

@ClintonOntiver1
Followed unfollowers eliminated = 0
-
New Followers followed back = 2
@relationssss, @Quote213
Spammers not followed back = 0
-

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
More by accident than design as clients opt for other days and evenings, Thursday is of late effectively my Sunday - with no major jobs, it's a chance to catch my breath, get things up-to-date and enjoy some me-time. I also ringfence Thursday evenings for Missus for intimacy purposes. 

With mental health never better and probably as good as it's going to get, the "elephant in the room" is weight. Though not morbidly obese, I am overweight. Though I am very conscious of it, and that it to some extent undermines my cred as a therapist, I don't yet have the motivation to fully address it. Frankly, I don't really give a fuck. So long as I'm not frightening people, I'm rather unconcerned about my appearance.

However, this doesn't mean I'm bingeing out of control either. I take 2-3 3.5-mile hikes every week, I generally have low refined sugar and eat plenty of fruit and fibre. 

I only eat when I'm hungry, but that's the problem - I'm getting hunger messages that can't be true, and furthermore I get kinda primally aggressive with it. Sugar makes this considerably worse, which is a good reason to keep it low.

To lose serious weight (which I can do, I've done it twice before) requires a level of attention, focus and concentration that I simply can't spare right now. If money were no object, I'd hire a personal nutritionist who could almost certainly design a regime that would be successful. 

I will instead pursue a limited policy of containment, and I've a few self-hypnosis techniques to use (which I haven't been arsed to use to date). With a quiet day in prospect, I may plant a few self-suggestions and see if it can at least counteract evening munchies.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Are there any longstanding issues you need to address?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD

















Moon





Weathertrack














6. TODAY'S ONELINER
My computer obsession is getting alt of ctl. :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Jennifer Murphy on sex with fat guys

8. TRIVIA
A female dolphin will assist in the birth of another’s baby dolphin, and if it is a difficult birth, the “midwife” might help pull out the baby. Other dolphins, including bulls, will swim around the mother during birth to protect her.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Life is a constant battle against deadlock. As long as we are alive, as long as we continue challenging ourselves, we are bound to come up against difficult obstacles that need to be overcome. If life were all smooth sailing, if we never encountered setbacks, that in itself would be a sign of stagnation.

No comments:

Post a Comment