Thursday 17 March 2016

FRIDAY 18th MARCH 2016 06:48 GMT

Read my book - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 

Also available - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK
 
WISDOM, HUMOUR, AND LOTS OF OTHER INTERESTING STUFF CAN BE FOUND ON MY PINTEREST PAGE and FACEBOOK PAGE
TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY

18th March 1241: 
The Battle of Chmielnik
The Mongols invaded Poland in late 1240, and were advancing westwards. The Poles had already suffered a defeat (battle of Tursko), and the Mongol forces split into two or three armies, the main of which, under Baidar, was heading towards Kraków (Cracow), a large city (and capital of the fragmented Polish Kingdom) in central-southern Poland (two other Mongol commanders, Kadan and Orda Khan, were advancing more to the north).

Polish forces were commanded by Włodzimierz, voivode (palatine) of Kraków, and Pakosław, voivode of Sandomierz, and represented most of Polish knights from those two provinces (the Kraków Province, also known as the Seniorate Province, and the Sandomierz Province) of fragmented Poland. The Mongols were commanded by Baidar. The Duke of Kraków, Bolesław V the Chaste, withdrew prior to the battle and did not participate. Bolesław's escape damaged the morale of the army, and caused many others to withdraw as well, weakening the forces available to Włodzimierz and Pakosław.

While the Polish forces had the advantage in the first phase of the battle, the Mongols, seeing that they would not defeat the Poles in straight combat, feigned a retreat. When the Polish forces begun to pursue them, they were hit by the Mongols' reinforcements and defeated comprehensively. Polish casualties were very heavy Włodzimierz and Pakosław were slain.

With the defeat of the Polish army, panic spread through the nearby Polish lands. Kraków, one of the largest and most prosperous cities of Poland, was abandoned, as inhabitants fled, and the Mongols spent several days pillaging it and the neighboring hamlets (accounts vary on how soon after the battle Mongols entered the city, but it is certain they burned it by March 24)

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Ironing
Meditation
Shift 1 of the Weekend Job
TV Comedy Night

Twitter Followers = 2,095 (down 2)
Never-followed unfollowers eliminated = 2

@masonmaphey,@DRSpaceGuru
Followed unfollowers eliminated = 1

@CareyMBeck
New Followers followed back = 1
@MilesOcampoLife
Spammers not followed back = 0
-


3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
I woke up at 03:00 in excruciating agony. A sharp pain right in the centre of my back that traveled round to my sternum. I knew exactly what it was, because I've had it several times throughout adult life - a trapped nerve caused by the wrong posture. Coincidentally I needed to open my bowels as well - extremely rare for me to do so overnight.

Post-dump I was in pain, thirsty and sleepy all at once. Following instinct, the sleepiness was stronger than the thirst so I just crawled back into bed. By the time the alarm went off at 05:00 the pain had shrunk to a slight tenderness - much too my relief. I am profoundly grateful to be pain free, as I know what back pain is like! A couple of poor sods at the Weekend Job suffer with it 24-7

In my case, being appreciative is the only thing I can do - I can't control my posture when I'm asleep! With age, spontaneous pain with no external cause is something I will have to accept and simply adopt the best waking posture and wellbeing disciplines that I can to minimize them.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
How well would you adapt to the sudden loss of your health?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD

















Moon





Weathertrack














Air Pressure
1028 millibars and static

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
How come women are furious if you remind them of their age, and even more furious when you forget their birthday? :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Have I Got News For You: Bugger off Scotland

8. TRIVIA
The thrasher (fox, slasher, or swingle-tail) shark uses its long tail to fish. Its tail can be half the length of its whole body—up to 10 feet. It uses its tail like a bat or whip that either smacks or stuns its prey.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Everything depends on what is in our hearts. If we decide to ourselves that something is impossible, then, consistent with our minds in thinking so, even something that is possible for us will become impossible. On the other hand, if we have the confidence that we can definitely do something, then we are already one step closer to achieving it in reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment