Thursday 15 May 2014

FRIDAY 16th MAY 2014 06:17 BST

NEW BOOK AVAILABLE NOW!! - ENLIGHTENMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK

FOR MORE BITE-SIZED WISDOM, CHECK OUT MY
TUMBLR PAGE

FOR PERSONAL ISSUES, OR TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR 2 (16th May 1944)
In the Soviet Union...
USAAF ground-crews arrive at bases at Poltava, Mirgorod, and Piryatin to prepare for bombing missions.

In the Baltic..
Six Luftwaffe fighter are shot down in a dogfight with two RAF mosquitoes on long-range patrol

In Germany...
Hitler orders that the V-1 flying bomb offensive against London must begin by mid-June 

In the North Sea...
Kriegsmarine vessel UJ-1210 is sunk by Allied aircraft

In the UK...
Conference of prime ministers from British commonwealth nations closes, hosted by Churchill and including Curtin, Mackenzie King, Fraser, and Smuts 
Exile governments of Belgium, Netherlands, and Norway agree to Allied plans for administration upon liberation
Physicist Niels Bohr meets with Churchill in an unsuccessful effort to convince him to share information about the atomic bomb with Moscow 

In Italy...
US 5th Army advances over the Gustav Line 

In the Pacific...
IJN submarine I-176 is sunk by USN destroyers Franks, Haggard, and Johnston

Remnants of Japanese 17th Army on Bougainville Island withdraw toward Buka Island 

In China...
Operation Ko-Go (Peking-Hankow Operation): 
Japanese 1st Army advances toward Iyang  

On the Salween front:
Chinese Y Force advances toward Laokai and Pingka while 198th Infantry Division captures Mamienkuan and Chiaotou 

In Burma...
Japanese II/146th Battalion and III/114th Battalion are driven back from the Blackpool perimeter overnight 

In India...
Japanese forces attack Indian 23rd Infantry Division at Shenam Pass southeast of Imphal 


Today's Air Raids...
Berlin by RAF Bomber Command
Wake, Nauru and Ponape Islands by US 7th Army
Bougainville Island on military targets by US 13th Air Force
Wakde Islands, Biak Island, and Noemfoor Island and military coastal targets in New Guinea by US 5th Air Force
Rabaul and military targets on New Britain by US 13th Air Force
Buthidaung, Burma by US 10th Air Force

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE 
Blogging
Meditation/Me Time
Online marketing
Shift 1 of the Weekend Job
Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 1,739 (up 3)
Nonfollowed eliminated = 0

Unfollowers eliminated = 0
New followers = 3

@coastsband, @kinberleymoffit, @John_Louis

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION 
Two days of significant meditation have left me particularly calm, but I'm not so naive as to believe I'm invincible. At the Weekend Job I have "declared war" against the Poison Dwarf manager, so I'm going into a potential battlefield. If she stays well away from me or isn't there (and fortunately that is more often than not) I will not need to wield my wiles, but I'm not confident she will keep out of my face.

I have learned not to run from conflict - anyone threatening to make your life unnecessarily unpleasant needs to be fought, no matter who they are. However my vindictiveness is restrained - expulsion from my life is my preferred option - I would only utterly destroy someone if that was the only way to get rid of them.

I have learned to wield light and dark forces with equal passion. Generosity and kindness to neutrals and allies, and ferocious aggression to threats. I have had a much happier life since I started doing this.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Do you have the courage to take risks and make a stand?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
Dry throughout. 
Bright sunshine until mid-morning, cloudier thereafter
A moderate westerly will blow throughout
Max Temp = 18 degC
Min Temp = 9 degC
Sunrise at 05:04
Sunset at 21:03

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
I'm so lazy I've got a smoke alarm with a snooze button.  :D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!

8. TRIVIA
On January 31, 1945, Private Eddie Slovik was shot for desertion, the first American executed for the crime since the Civil War and the only one to suffer this punishment during WWII
 
9.  ZEN WISDOM
There will be times in life when you cannot succeed, or times when hardship seems about to crush you. Such times are inevitable, but do not allow your spirit to be broken by them.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment