Friday 20 December 2013

THE WINTER SOLSTICE, SATURDAY 21st DECEMBER 2013 07:44 GMT

AVAILABLE FOR KINDLE DOWNLOAD, DOCUMENT DOWNLOAD AND AUDIOBOOK - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK

FOR MORE BITE-SIZED WISDOM, CHECK OUT MY
TUMBLR PAGE

FOR PERSONAL ISSUES, OR TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR 2 (21st December 1943)
On the Russian Front...
Soviet Byelorussian Front attack in the Zhlobin sector 
German XLVIII Panzer Korps heavily engaged in the Meleni sector 
Soviet 2nd Guards Army pushes the German 6th Army out of the Kherson bridgehead 

In Italy...
British 8th Army's Canadian 1st Infantry Division fights its way into Ortona 
General John Cannon takes command of US 12th Air Force 

In the Atlantic..
U-284 is damaged beyond repair in a storm and scuttled

In the Pacific...
Japanese vessels Konan Maru and Kashiwa Maru are sunk by USN submarine Grayback 
Japanese vessel Uyo Maru is sunk by USN submarine Sailfish 
Japanese vessel Terukawa Maru is sunk by USN submarine Skate 

US Army troops along with 1st Battalion of Fiji Infantry Brigade begin relieving 3rd Marine Division on Bougainville Island

Japanese vessel Matsushima Maru is sunk by US 5th Air Force aircraft in the Bismarck Sea

In New Guinea...
Australian 20th Infantry Brigade, advancing along the coast of Huon peninsula, reaches Hubika 

In India..
General Stilwell arrives Ledo to oversee operations in northern Burma

Today's Air Raids...
Northern France Fighter patrols by RAF 2nd Tactical Air Force
V-Weapons Sites, Northern France by RAF 2nd Tactical Air Force and US 9th Air Force
Terracina and military targets, Italy by US 12th Air Force
Shimushiru Island by USN PBY aircraft
Jaluit Atoll, Kwajalein Atoll and Mille Atoll by US 7th Air Force
Finschhafen and Kaukenau, New Guinea by US 5th Air Force
Cape Gloucester, Arawe and military targets, New Britain by US 5th Air Force
Ceram Island by US 5th Air Force
Chiengmai, Thailand by US 14th Island
Hwajung, China by US 14th Air Force

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Shift 2 of the Weekend Job
TV Footie with Missus

Twitter Followers = 1,705 (up 1)
Nonfollowed eliminated = 0
Unfollowers eliminated = 0

New followers = 1


3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
I have been aware for some time that how you feel from moment to moment is how you respond to the information coming from both out in the environment and within memory. I have been dealt a particularly negative default that not only settles on the bad but also overreacts to it. My salvation has been having loved ones counting on me - this is a good incentive to override the defaults with good disciplines, learned and practiced over many years.

But it doesn't get any easier! In the same way a diabetic must keeping self regulating sugar levels manually, I have to consciously practice good discipline daily. Emptying the mind of thought and relying on intuition, which leads to Enlightenment, is a necessity for me as my mind is inclined to "overheat", i.e, overthink. I have lost my fear of death and personal consequences, which makes me capable of anything, but I do fear the consequences for my loved ones, which keeps my very dark impulses harnessed. 

This leads me to one of the benefits mindfulness and super-awareness has brought. When my mind is calm, I sit at the very fulcrum of the Universe - I can see every possibility taking place. Humanity is a microcosm of the Universe, right now every experience is being experienced by someone, from the worst to the best, and at every age. I can see it and feel it all happening around me! 

My own mind is itself a microcosm, having experienced darkness and light, love and hate, acceptance and rejection, good and bad fortune, and is capable of great good and great harm. On every scale I can see every extreme - it's AWESOME! And when I have my mind focused on this nexus, I experience complete peace of mind - a bliss that has no opposite.

So here is the irony - the fact that I have a troubled mind is the direct cause of finding peace of mind. Unlike other troubled minds that experience and create only darkness, one blessing I do have is the positive desire to make a difference. That has led me to find not only peace of mind but the knowledge and ability to help others who want it.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Would you like to know what's really going on?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
A dry start.
Blustery showers arriving by mid-morning will persist throughout
A window of dry clear weather will manifest either side of midnight for a few hours.
A strong south-westerly wind will blow throughout
Max Temp = 9 degC
Min Temp = 5 degC
Sunrise at 08:23
Sunset at 15:47

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
Insomnia? Fill your bed with rice. You'll fall asleep as soon as your head hits the pilau   : D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
QI - The Hagfish and Mucous Man 

8. TRIVIA
Even with today’s powerful antibiotics, bacterial pneumonia is the most common complication of the flu, and most flu-related deaths are due to it.

9. ZEN WISDOM
It is not how you compare to others that is important, but rather how you compare to who you were yesterday. If you’ve advanced even one step, then you’ve achieved something great.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment