Saturday 9 November 2013

SATURDAY 9th NOVEMBER 2013 08:38 GMT

AVAILABLE FOR KINDLE DOWNLOAD, DOCUMENT DOWNLOAD AND AUDIOBOOK - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK

FOR MORE BITE-SIZED WISDOM, CHECK OUT MY
TUMBLR PAGE

FOR PERSONAL ISSUES, OR TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR 2 9th November 1943)
On the Russian Front...

Soviet 3rd Guards Army advances toward Zhitomir, 100 miles west of Kiev

In Algeria...
General Giraud resigns from Free French Committee of National Liberation

In the Atlantic...
U-707 is sunk by RAF aircraft based in the Azores 

In the Pacific...
US Marines attack the Japanese 23rd Infantry Regiment on Bougainville Island

In China...
Changte Operation: Japanese 11th Army captures Miaoling and Hsinmenssu

Today's Air Raids...
Bochum and Duisburg, Germany by RAF Bomber Command
Denmark and Northern France Fighter patrols by RAF 2nd Tactical Air Force
Split, Yugoslavia by US 12th Air Force
Turin and Genoa, Italy by US 15th Air Force
Ballale Island Airfiels and Buka Airfield by US 13th Air Force
Alexishafen, New Guinea by US 5th Air Force
Gasmata, New Britain by US 5th Air Force
Heho, Burma by RAF aircraft
Imphal, India by Japanese aircraft  

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging/Me Time
Shift 2 of the Weekend Job

Twitter Followers = 1,696 (no change)
Nonfollowed eliminated = 0
Unfollowers eliminated = 1

@MovementForHope
New followers = 1
 

@opicUK  

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
The legal term for a "reasonable man" in Britain is "the man on the Clapham omnibus" - a theoretical individual who represents a national consensus as to what is reasonable. My preference would be to have the mindset of this man! Unfortunately the software running my mind is nothing like this man, and is more akin to a psychopath. The reasons I don't (so far at least) behave like a psychopath are twofold - firstly, I have loved ones counting on me who are directly affected by my behaviour. Secondly, my training allows my consciousness to separate from my feelings and look upon them from a distance.

I don't have a deeply-ingrained moral compass that naturally guides me as to what acceptable behaviour means, but I have found that mentally consulting that man on the Clapham omnibus guides me as to the consequence of my actions. 

This internal behaviour management is quite hard work! I'm fine when no one pisses me off - I have learned where to focus my consciousness to avoid opening mental scars - but when raw nerves are trod on, Monsters From The Id are unleashed. Fortunately, my training generally means that I no longer inflict these monsters on my loved ones or the innocent in general. 

That said, when anyone rightly or wrongly "has a go" at me, even minor things that the man on the Clapham omnibus would instantly move on from, the Monsters From The Id never let me. The desire for vindictive revenge is overwhelming! The general pattern is that though the man on the Clapham omnibus usually has his way regards my behaviour, the subject of my wrath is never forgiven or forgotten, and given a low-risk opportunity to inflict harm, I probably would.

Of course I don't want to be like this! It is not how I would prefer to react. However that won't change the reality. I am a sociopath. On the other hand, unlike a lot of sociopaths, though I can be pushed too far, I manage the condition well, and the tried-and tested techniques I employ I can pass on to clients, loved ones and my reading audience.

So far at least, though not invincible, my self-management techniques are robust, and as a therapist, through my own experience, I know my stuff. By the way, if you ever do find yourself "losing it", the best first-aid is space, time, reflection and a good laugh - in that order.

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Do you understand the difference between managing an issue and suppressing it?  

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
Showers, some heavy, throughout the day.
Showers will move away after dusk, and it will be dry and mainly clear thereafter. 
A cold moderate southwesterly wind will slowly swing to a colder north-westerly by midnight
Max Temp = 4 degC
Min Temp = 2 degC
Sunrise at 07:22
Sunset at 16:19

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
A psychopath was eating a chicken and said "hmm, tastes like people" : D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!  
Lou Sanders on Russell Howard's Good News 

8. TRIVIA
On average, the moon is 238,750 miles (384,400 km) from Earth, or about 30 Earth widths away.

9. ZEN WISDOM
Dialogue starts from the courageous willingness to know and be known by others. It is the painstaking and persistent effort to remove all obstacles that obscure our common humanity.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment