Saturday 25 May 2013

SATURDAY 25th MAY 2013 08:27 BST

AVAILABLE FOR KINDLE DOWNLOAD, DOCUMENT DOWNLOAD AND AUDIOBOOK - EMOTIONAL MANAGEMENT FOR ORDINARY FOLK

FOR MORE WISDOM CHECK OUT MY
TUMBLR PAGE

FOR PERSONAL ISSUES, OR TO FIND OUT WHAT I DO, WHY NOT CHECK OUT MY WEBSITE

1. THIS DAY IN WORLD WAR 2 (25th May 1943)
In Bulgaria...
Jews are ordered out of the city and into the countryside

In the Mediterranean...
U-414 sunk by RN corvette HMS Vetch

In the Atlantic...
U-467 sunk by USN aircraft south of Iceland

In the Pacific...
US 7th Infantry Division, with heavy air support, attack Fish Hook Ridge on Attu Island.

Today's Air Raids...
Dusseldorf, Germany by RAF Bomber Command
Belgium Fighter patrols by US 8th Air Force
Northern France Fighter patrols by RAF Fighter Command
Abbeville Airfield, France by RAF Bomber Command
Brighton and Folkestone, England by the Luftwaffe
Calabria and Messina, Sicily by USAAF
Pantelleria Island on the Italian garrison by USAAF
Kiska Island by US 11th Air Support
Madang and military targets, New Guinea by US 5th Air Force
Cape Gloucester, New Britain by US 5th Air Force
Buthidaung, Burma by the RAF

2. TODAY IN MY LIFE
Blogging
Missus Time
Shift 2 of the Weekend Job
Missus Time

Twitter Followers = 1,673 (down 1)
Nonfollowed eliminated = 0
Unfollowers eliminated = 2

@Alistair_Arnott @PeterWinick

3. TODAY'S SELF-OBSERVATION
Managing my strong emotions is a daily struggle , but I have got increasingly better at it. I have long-since accepted that the emotional reactions I experience are internal chemistry not of my choosing, so I have no sense of guilt about them. That still leaves me with the responsibility of managing them.

An emotional reaction is an automatic response to a trigger. Since I cannot eliminate neither the trigger nor the response, the only solution is a counter-response. A negative emotional reaction is a trigger to launch a grounding technique. It's taken me some time to find an effective grounding technique that's potent enough to counteract raging emotion.

The technique I use right now is the visualization of a comfy couch next to a lake. The lake represents my subconscious, out of which thoughts, feelings and impulses leap in the form of fish. Some of these fish are small and inconsequential. Some, set off by raw nerves trod on, are monstrous barracudas.

If my awareness floating is in the lake itself, I can be possessed by these fish and become them. If however I say the command SIT, my awareness can transport itself to the couch, from where I am simply the observer, sissociated from my thoughts and feelings, so becoming still. The lake, without me in the water, ceases to attract fish to the surface and becomes calm.

The technique is effective but requires mental effort and practice, which I'm still working at. Physically sitting and being aware of being sat helps trigger the visualization, and the ultimate aim is to be permanently sat on the couch, not entering the lake at all - continual "superconsciousness".

4. TODAY'S QUESTION FOR YOU
Are you fully in control of yourself?

5. TODAY'S WEATHER IN BRADFORD
Dry, bright and sunny all day and evening.
Cloudy with clear spells all evening.
Wind will be negligible during the day
A moderate north-westerly will pick up in the evening.
Max Temp = 15 degC
Min Temp = 7 degC
Sunrise at 04:51
Sunset at 21:18

6. TODAY'S ONELINER
I should really stop confusing sign language for kung-fu : D

7. NOW THAT'S FUNNY!
Jimmy Carr on fear of spiders

8. TRIVIA
Every 7 seconds, a teenager in the USA gets infected with an STD

9. THE WISDOM I'VE LEARNED FROM OTHERS
"Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished: If you're alive, it isn't." - Richard Bach

 



No comments:

Post a Comment